Wednesday, September 7, 2016

I got to visit Cape Town South Africa!

View down into Cape Town from the road up to Table Mountain

I got to visit Cape Town, South Africa !  Happy dance!  Unfortunately it was a flying visit for a conference so I didn't get to see or do nearly enough.

I was there to present a talk entitled Portable X-ray Fluorescence (PXRF) Spectrometry of Soils: Method Limitations at the 35th International Geological Congress held in Cape Town, South Africa as part of the special 5th International Conference on Criminal and Environmental Soil Forensics session. The talk was more exciting than the title makes it sound. Seriously. 


I did play hooky for part of a day with a friend from Italy and we went out to hike up Table Mountain.  Amazing place though I was rather disappointed to figure out that I flew 12+ hours then another 9+ only to land on rocks that were Ordovician and Siluro-Devonian rocks - same age as home. We had a great time hiking around and enjoying the breathtaking view.  Very windy but the sun was out and it was a gorgeous day.

Good thing we snuck out too, since this is what it looked like the next day ...



Seriously cloudy.  Couldn't see a thing.  Everyone there was complaining about how cold it was (winter in the Southern Hemisphere) but I thought it felt wonderful!  Way nicer than the 85°F+ temperatures we have been having around home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.