Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Still Alive and bonus Moose

Stress levels IRL got super high a while back and posting on the blog is one of the things that fell by the wayside. Plus, I made the mistake of getting involved with the Hugo Awards, which burned me out really, really fast (I am one of the new voters who decided that No Award was vastly preferable to presenting awards to highly substandard work.)

However, now that I have had a break and a road trip out west, I am going to try to get back on track with posting again.

I spent a chunk of August hanging out with the moose in the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming, where there was no such thing as cell service and WiFi was harder to find then a moose.


Yes - that is a mother with her calf. I was behind a stand and out of sight so that I wasn't disturbing them. Moose are actually quite dangerous and will charge if they feel threatened.

The other tiny bit of news is that I have been promoted to department chair (eek!) which is going to impact my activity as well. But - since this is supposed to be stress relief for me, I am still going to try to post something once or twice a week.

Happy Moose Day, I mean Tuesday!



2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your promotion! That's awesome! And your moose picture is most impressive. I have been frightened of mooses ever since Homeward Bound taught me the false information that mooses come out at night to bite the tails off of smaller animals. SOUNDS TOTALLY TRUE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And moose are scary even if they don't bite off tails. We were out hiking and got a bit too close to a moose hanging out it some trees where we couldn't see it. We ended up running away when the moose starting acting agitated and headed straight for us. Bullwinkle notwithstanding, moose can be terrifying !

      Delete

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.