Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Seventh Bride by T. Kingfisher

The Seventh Bride
by T. Kingfisher (aka Ursula Vernon)

Publisher: Red Wombat Tea Company
Format: ebook
Published: November 11, 2014
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
Print Length: 183 pages

Genre: Fiction - Fairy Tale/Horror
Source: purchased

From the T Kingfisher website:
Rhea is an ordinary miller’s daughter, engaged to be married under suspicious circumstances to a man not of her choosing. 

He has unknown powers and a manor house full of mysterious women. 

Rhea has a hedgehog. It claims to be ordinary, but normal hedgehogs don’t act like that.

It’s probably not going to be enough.

Sigh. I am such an Ursula Vernon fangirl that I would probably read her grocery list and like it. Somehow I missed this one when it came out - probably because I was focused on waiting for Dragonbreath: Knight-Napped! which (squee!) is sitting on the desk next to me.  I have to read it at lunch becuase as soon as I take it home my son is going to steal it to read. 

So - I have to admit that I think I liked Nine Goblins a bit better, but still - this is pretty cool. It is an interesting take on the Bluebeard idea, where Rhea finds herself 'engaged' to an off-putting Lord. Rhea, our narrator, has a good, strong, young-girl-in-over-her-head voice. She might be a little slow to pick up some of the clues being laid out, but not unbearably so. She also tends to admit that she should have seen something coming - and it makes sense in a I still can't believe/cope with the things that are happening around me sort of way.

The story is Coraline-ish level creepy - not for children but should be find for older teens. 

There are a few lines that I absolutely adored - mostly involving the hedgehog, because hedgehogs are awesome - but I am going to refrain from sharing them because I want to encourage everyone to go try this one themselves. Well worth your time. 

It is only available as an ebook
The Hedgehog's Balloon by Ursula Vernon
http://www.redwombatstudio.com/product/the-hedgehogs-balloon/
This hedgehog has nothing to do with the story - it is just an example of some of Ursula Vernon's wonderful art.

But now, just because I have to ...


 Hedgehog squeeeeee !

'kay I am better now,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.