Monday, January 12, 2015

It's Monday! What are You Reading? 1-12-15

It's Monday! What are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey and It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? From Picture Books to YA! hosted by Jen at Teach Mentor Texts.


Wow - I haven't done one of these since classes ended last spring.  Well - in a probably vain attempt to start paying more attention to sharing what I have been writing, I am going to try to remember to do one of these posts at least once a month or so.

And here I find out that Sheila is in Australia!  Soooooo jealous!

Last Monday I signed up for some reading challenges
I am curtailing my attempts this year since last year when life hit I totally spaced on doing any of the links for the challenge - I was read the books, and even managing reviews. I just wasn't taking that last step. This year I have only signed up for three so far. I might add a couple more but will attempt to control myself this year. 

Tuesday I was a Mystery Reader for a 2nd Grade Class. It was tons of fun! I read Rosie Revere, Engineer and If an Armadillo Went to a Restaurant.


I also posted a review of Waistcoats and Weaponry by Gail Garriger. Review spoiler - I didn't like it nearly as much as the first, or even the second. I think it was only nostalgia for the first book that really carried me through. Rather disappointed.

Wednesday - was Wondrous Words Wednesday 37 but the books that I found the words in were pretty meh, so I didn't include them in the post this time around.
Thursday I posted a review for the novella  The Seventh Bride by T. Kingfisher (aka Ursula Vernon). Very cool creepy take on the Bluebeard fairy tale. If that is your thing, definitely worth a read.

I also read Dragonbreath #10: Knight-napped by Ursula Vernon. I haven't posted a review yet but - squeee! - I love Danny Dragonbreath books! They are awesome. My son read it over the weekend and spent a ton of time reading bits out loud to me and laughing uproariously.  

Friday was my A peak into The Seventh Bride and The Quiet World post where I post a bit from the first page and a bit from either page 56 or the 56% mark in a book. I usually try to do both a fiction and non-fiction title.
 
Saturday I posted a review for The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani - another review spoiler - I found this book to be very problematic. The ideas the book purports to play with are very cool and would subvert some traditional tropes, except that the way the narrative actually plays out, most of the negative stereotypes are actively reinforced. Plus the writing was pretty sloppy. Sorry, I know that lots of people really liked this book but I was hugely disappointed.


And I have no clear plan for this week. Goodness only knows I will be reading.  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me about the Dragonbreath series. These days I am working hard on finding enough quality easy novels for a whole mess of little boys who need to expand their horizons. I enjoyed the few of those that I read. Your son might like Frankie Pickle if you are not already acquainted with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like a seriously busy week! Looking forward to seeing your books in future #IMWAYR too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.