Monday, December 8, 2014

I'm Back !

I have been gone the past week to present at a conference in London. The whole family went and we had a lovely time.

The conference was at the Geological Society of London, which was founded in 1807 and is the oldest geological society in the world. Geo-geek squee time!


If you read or heard about Simon Winchester's book The Map That Changed the World ... well, William Smith was a member of the GSL (after they were initially being total classist jerks) and they have one of his original maps on the wall there (the real one is covered by a curtain). They also have a couple of his chairs.


Bust of William Smith and his 1815 geological map of England, Wales and Scotland
One of William Smith's Chairs

 Now I have to sort out how to get back into the swing of things.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds fab! Did your presentation go well? Did everyone ask intelligent questions, and did they all applaud madly at the end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it did go quite well - so I am very happy about that. They don't applaud madly at the GSL - much too dignified for that sort of thing. They did applaud though and I exchanged business cards with several people, so that is always a good sign. :)

      Delete

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.