Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Me too.


Lark confessed, I guess I will too. In a fit of something or another - probably despondence from working so hard on a journal article that is being intransigent, I signed up to do NaNoWriMo. I have wanted to for a couple of years but didn't because I knew that I couldn't commit the time to it. I still can't but have a better chance this year than I will again any time soon.

So - I have no idea what I am doing and am also terrified, but I have at least two story ideas that I have been thinking about for ages and would like to work on.

I have decided that what I write is allowed to stink, that I am not doing to do any serious editing initially and that I can get all James Joyce once in a while and just write whatever comes to mind simply in order to use my imagination and to see if I can write fiction rather than just nonfiction.  I am a published author but all of my writing is highly detail oriented, fact-based nonfiction. It is going to be so weird to be able write whatever I want and not to have to create gigantic reference lists or spending hours double checking some obscure fact. 

I am not worried about length so much - I was asked to do a one page summary of a project proposal a couple days ago and at the moment I have five pages written and it isn't done. The editing is gonna be murder - I am probably going to resort to all those tiny margin, smallest acceptable font, funky line spacing (1.3 is close enough to 1.5, right)  - tricks that my students use in reverse to get it onto one page.

Wish me luck!  I am going to need it. 

I am doing NaNoWriMo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.