Monday, May 5, 2014

It's Monday! What are You Reading? 5-4

It's Monday! What are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It is the last week of classes and things are completely frenetic now. Finals are next week and everyone is starting to panic. Me - I am buried under grading.

As a consequence, not much has changed since last week on the blog ...

I got a review/stream of consciousness posted about Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

and that was pretty much it. I still need to post reviews for
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke 
  • Giants Beware by Jorge Aguirre and Rafael Rosado  
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows  
  • Monster on the Hill by Rob Harrell 
  •  The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook by Eleanor Davis last week.
 (all these I either liked or loved - so consider that a mini-mini-review :)

I finished reading Austenland by Shannon Hale this week. I started reading it for Dewey's 24-hour read-a-thon and finished it during a bout of insomnia this week.

I doubt if I will get around to reviewing it - the only reason I finished the book was because it was too much work to pick another ebook to start reading. I just found the premise too creepy for words. Yuck!  Especially since there are plenty of re-creation groups that play at being in Regency times, the Middle Ages, the Civil war - voluntarily with no paid coercion  - the whole rich 'lady' playground idea was unnecessary. I would give it two claws - I didn't like it and found the premise alternatively squicky and offensive.  The concept of 'paid romantic experience' makes me feel vaguely ill.

I participated in two memes last week ...

And posted two short environmental new pieces. 


It is very unlikely that I will get much reading done this week (and no, I still have not finished Packing for Mars, sigh - I lost it on my desk under stacks of grading instead. Oops.)

On the plus side my daughters school had a buy-one-get-one-free book fair on Friday, so we stocked up on children's books for both my daughter and my son. I still have to take a picture of all our loot. 

I am saving The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street and several of our new purchases for the Bout of Books 10.0 next week (which is also finals week - so I will be alternating between grading and reading - it will be weird!) I am really looking forward to BoB and will not be trying to be a "serious reader" this time at all. I will be a frivolous reader instead and pick up whatever books catch my fancy this time.  I have a very odd fancy.



2 comments:

  1. I've heard similar things about Austenland from other people so it's one I won't be reading. I hope you do find some time to read this week. Good luck next week with BoB :)
    Here's my It's Monday! Post
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely see the creepy factor of Austenland. I hope your next read is great!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.