Thursday, May 15, 2014

Bout of Books Wednesday (and Tuesday) Update

Bout of BooksYesterday was a blur and I totally forgot to do Tuesday update, so today - two for the price of one.

Tuesday:
Pages read: 118 pages today;
    • 21 pages out of The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street by Helene Hanff
    • 97 pages out of  A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Challenges: the Bookish Battle Royal Challenge and Books You're Looking Forward To Challenge are both on my Bout of Books Tuesday Post

Wednesday:
Pages read:159 today; 570 so far
Books finished today: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Total Books finished: 2
Challenges: This' Made Me Think of 'That'

I am amazed by people who actually can keep track of the amount of time that they spend reading. I can't seem to do that. I am lucky when I can remember to keep a page count.

So - I finished A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle last night after the kids went to bed.  It was on my TBR pile for the May Midnight Garden's Classic YA Readalong. Now I am all verklempt. I remember loving the Wrinkle in Time books when I was a kid but I have not re-read them since and almost nothing I remember was in this book - I must be remembering a different one in the series. This book was plain odd for me and reading it now, I don't understand why I loved it so much. The style is disorganized, the plot jumpy and kinda incoherent, there is lots of telling and not showing. It doesn't really make much sense and the story ends very abruptly. Were we really so bereft of books with female characters that this was exciting at the time?  We must have been. I am still mulling this over. There are some great lines in the book, but there are many more incoherent clunkers.  Oh dear.  I am looking forward to sharing Anne of Green Gables with my daughter when she is a bit older, but now that I have re-read this one (and I do still plan to read the other ones that I had as a kid - just to see if what I remember is in there or if I am remembering another book entirely) -  I really doubt that I will offer this one to my daughter. Hurmph!

2 comments:

  1. Oh hell. My mother recently reread A Wrinkle in Time and said almost the exact same thing you said. I'm scared to reread it now! I don't want my childhood memories to be all tarnished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feelings exactly. I am extremely bummed out by this. Sigh.

      Delete

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.