Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Bout of Books Tuesday Challenges

Bout of BooksI spent most of the day writing an exam so not much reading thus far.  But now the exam is copied, sorted and ready to go in the morning, so I can spend a few minutes doing something fun.

My Life in Books is hosting the Bookish Battle Royal Challenge --

... and I have no idea what to do with this since I tend to favor books where people actually cooperate and are not intent on beating the piss out of each other. Conflict amongst the lead characters simply for the sake of 'drama' is one of my least favorite tropes.  I have never forgiven anyone involved with Andromeda for what they did with Tyr Anasazi's character 'cause there can be only one. Yuck! Someone want to explain why we can't have both ???


Hum ... I will have to ponder this too see what kind of twisted odd interpretation I can put on it.

Ah ha!  There has been a murder and you need a fictional sleuth to sort it out - who will be able to solve this mystery?

Sherlock Holmes -

Strengths -
cunning, perceptive, intuitive

Weaknesses -
egotistical, easily bored, addict


Nero Wolfe -

Strenghts -
loyal, stubborn, fearless

Weaknesses -
home bound, rather nonathletic (to say the least), dogmatic

I refuse to acknowledge the
BBC show!

Dirk Gently 

Strengths -
the universe sorts things out just to spite him, amazing attention to detail, intrepid

Weaknesses -
likely to be distracted by the first shiny object, avaricious, lazy (and unkempt!)

  



And the winner !

I am highly tempted to say none of the above and hand the laurels to someone like Detective Elena Jarvis simply because she is more realistic ...

but I am going with Sherlock. The cosmos would ensure that Dirk wound up finding the solution to a completely different mystery and Nero would be slowed down by the fact that he needs Archie to do all his footwork. Archie would be distracted by the nearest 'dame.' 



Challenge two is Books You're Looking Forward To -- River City Reading, because of course I don't have a big enough TBR pile.

Well I am waiting on Thursdays with the Crown, the third Castle Glower book, by Jessica Day George, which is supposed to come out in November. 

I am looking forward to finally getting a chance to spread out and read S. by J.J. Abrams and Doug Dorset since it has been sitting there on my shelf laughing at me since I bought it.

I have been interested in I Kill the Mockingbird by Paul Acampora, though I can't for the life of me remember anything about it right now. (When Lucy, Elena, and Michael receive their summer reading list, they are excited to see To Kill A Mockingbird included. But not everyone in their class shares the same enthusiasm. So they hatch a plot to get the entire town talking about the well-known Harper Lee classic.)

Oh - I want Waistcoats & We​aponry (Finishing School Book the Third) by Gail Carriger

And The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert (Over the last half a billion years, there have been five mass extinctions, when the diversity of life on earth suddenly and dramatically contracted. Scientists around the world are currently monitoring the sixth extinction, predicted to be the most devastating extinction event since the asteroid impact that wiped out the dinosaurs. This time around, the cataclysm is us.)

I forgot - I am looking forward to the new Discworld book - Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett !  

Sorry - hot and brain-dead - I think I will stop there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.