Saturday, January 18, 2014

We finally have some information on 4-methylcyclohexene methanol from the source

tells us detection limit of WV chemical spill water testing: 10 parts per billion or 1/100 parts per million.

The 4-methylcyclohexene methanol (MCHM) spilled in West Virginia was manufactured by Eastman Kodak. This week they finally released some of their toxicity research at http://www.eastman.com/Pages/Eastman-Crude-MCHM-Studies.aspx

I haven't had a chance to look at them yet - other than to see that they are over a decade old (1997 & 1998 on the ones that I glanced at) and they were all short term animal studies on small cohorts.  Not the most reassuring basis for determining a "safe" level of exposure.

I just saw that Wired has a great writeup on by Deborah Blum
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2014/01/chemistry-experiments-west-virginia-dont-try-home/all/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.