Saturday, January 4, 2014

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore


Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore 
Robin Sloan
Published:
Picador; Reprint edition (September 24, 2013)
Format: Paperback
Pages: 304
Genre: Fiction
Source: own book



I finished this one yesterday and I have to say that I quite liked it.  I did pretty much figure out where this was going by the time I reached the middle of the book, but the author kept things interesting and made the story play out well and gracefully. I still didn't feel that most of the characters were very fleshed out, so that detracted from the experience for me. I also had a bit of a timing problem in terms of what the ..um.. members were supposed to accomplish in a lifetime. If you have seen Volumes 1 and 2 of Mark Twain's autobiography you have an idea of what my problem was with the secret society - it was cool but really needed to be thought out more to feel real. However, I love player in the middle stories - where the central character isn't the most awesome expert in the world, or the most magical, or dummm dumm dahhh *destined* - but instead a regular person who uses their knowledge and intelligence to link things together to find a solution. 

I enjoyed this book and will probably re-read it at some point.  It was kind of like a stripped down contemporary version of Name of the Rose told strictly from a new novice's point of view. (I love Name of the Rose and have read it at least three times).  So ... four claws.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.