Saturday, January 11, 2014

Friday Bout of Books Review

I got to do something really fun and book related with my daughter on Friday. Her teacher hosted a Snuggle up and Read where the parents got to come into school and have hot cocoa and donuts holes while reading books with their childrens. It was great fun. My daughter read me some of the poems from her workbook and read me a couple of books, then we read some books together. I had a lovely time. 

So - I didn't get as much reading done on my own as I otherwise would have, but I wouldn't have missed spending the time with my daughter for the world.

Friday, January 10, 2014 

Number of pages I’ve read today: 102 + 96 = 198
Total number of books I’ve read: sigh - still 3
Total number of pages I've read: 198 + 1497 = 1695
Books today:
 
So, I finally managed to forgive myself for not being able to enjoy the last few books I chose for Bout of Books.  I went back to The Golem and the Jinnni by Helene Wecker (102 pages) and have been enjoying it greatly. It's amazing how some authors can take 90 pages and not really tell much of a story while in the same page count other authors have already woven not only a couple of larger story arcs, they have started several short self contained stories as well. This book is much more to my taste.  I like the story of the Golem and she is learning to deal with her existence. The Jinni is, to me, a much less sympathetic character though his fall has been harder.  It seems somewhat more like karmic backlash.  

On my e-reader I have kept going with The Grand Tour: or the Purloined Coronation Regalia by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer (96 pages). One of the things that I am really appreciating about the story is that you have two happily married couples who are not spending their time doubting each other or misunderstanding each other. There are bonds of trust and respect, which allows them to have an adventure together without pages of angst dialogue. The worst is that Kate sometimes becomes annoying with her self-doubt about social situations, but the other characters just tell her to stop being an idiot (well, more nicely than that usually) and help her over the 'bumps.'  So far I am really enjoying the story.

Challenges 

Completed Create a Story -- Never Too Fond of Books
  You can find my story at  Bout of Books 9.0 Create a Story Challenge

Completed Book Spine Poetry -- The Book Spines
   You can find my poem at Bout of Books 9.0- Book Spine Poetry Challenge!

3 comments:

  1. It looks like you are making great progress! I'm glad to hear you are liking The Golem and the Jinni - I recently purchased a copy myself and am eager to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just wish I had found it sooner so that it was on my original list. I have liked it very much so far

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.