Thursday, January 9, 2014

Bout of Books Wednesday update

Well, I was correct in the notion that I wouldn't get much reading done with two kids suffering from cabin fever at home.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 

Number of pages I’ve read today: 144 + 90 + 10 = 244
Total number of books I’ve read: 3
Total number of pages I've read: 1367
Books:
I finished The Name of This Book is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch first thing in the morning while the kids were still asleep. 


Then I picked up A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness, since I was stuck sitting under two kids who were curled up on me watching TV and it was the only book I could reach. Like I said before, I pretty much ignored this book while it was everywhere, but when I got stuck someplace where there weren't many choices I ended up picking it up. Now I am kind of sorry I did. I managed 90 pages by carrying it around and reading whenever I had a spare moment. The first few pages were good, but after that, what a slog !  I am not sure exactly what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't being bored to death.  It's urban fantasy - without the urban and without much fantasy so far.  I am not sure I want to keep going with this book right now.

The extra 10 pages were from The Grand Tour: or the Purloined Coronation Regalia -  which has protagonists that don't bore me or make me nuts.


Rant warning ...
_________________________________________


So in Discovery of Witches the main character's mother was this really special, amazing witch because she could use her powers to do housework ?!?!?  Did Daddy use his powers to do housework too ???  WTF - seriously? That is what amazing magic is for  ?  Housework? Laundry?  Umm ... right.  How amazing.

Well at least that bit was easy to read, but then I kept reading, waiting for something else to happen.  So it is repeatedly explained that Diana feels the gaze of others - vampire = icy cold, daemons = icky kiss, witches = a prickly poke ?  I kept waiting and waiting for something to happen and move things forward. Finally - something did - they went to a yoga class.  ARGH!  Though the idea of a room full of paranormal creatures with their butts all sticking in the air doing the downward facing dog pose is pretty amusing.

2 comments:

  1. heehee I like your rant. I have heard many mixed reviews of A Discovery of Witches and have yet to pick it up for myself. Oh well.

    Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I have it now, I guess eventually I will force my way though it but man I can tell it is going to be work. Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I do read all of the comments and want to let you know that I really appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a note. Work has fallen in on me and I have not had enough time to reply coherently lately so I apologize preemptively but still want to assure you that your comments are valued. I am using comment moderation to avoid using more annoying spam avoidance. Thanks for your patience.